Sabtu, 07 Agustus 2010

Organic food - Understanding the Label

The United States is a land of paradoxes. We are still undernourished supercharged. We have evidence that we have plenty of food and nutrients we take a lot of calories, but every day we have deficiencies of vitamins and minerals.

To explain the proponents of organic farming that is reverse the decline in nutrient density of high-yielding traditional crops is one of the main reasons why organic farming has become so important to consumers. The same movement was born as a reaction to the nature of the developed world food system. Instead of pesticides and chemical fertilizers, said organic farmers compost and other methods to improve the nutrition of soil and improve disease control natural nutrients in plants. Small, local production was the name of the game.

Food safety, quality (taste and nutrient density) and where and how the materials have been grown and processed and then manufactured into a finished product, are also part of this health equation. In fact, most people believe that buying organic food, the food more nutritious, safer and tastier food grown conventionally.

Part of the problem is the definition of 'organic'. The term actually refers to the methods used to produce the food and not for the nature and quality of food. Taste, for example, the freshness, how the products will be delivered, is influenced not know whether or not organic products.

Among the attributes commonly used for foodstuffs from organic farming:

Is cultivated without pesticides;

Is cultivated without fertilizers;

Been growing in soil with a layer of minerals is through the application of mineral fertilizers and increased natural

Is cultivated without the use of preservatives, hormones and antibiotics.

Organic farming practices are designed to soil and water conservation and promote the reduction of environmental pollution. Farmers, organic produce and meat do not prevent fertilization by conventional methods or standard of weed control, or antibiotics for livestock disease to grow. Instead of chemical herbicides, organic farmers use crop rotations and spread mulch or manure to keep weeds away.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has controlled a number of national standards that organic products in 2002. He set four basic rules for using the word "organic" on food:

First Foods that are made from 100% organic can be labeled "100% organic" and bear the USDA seal.

According Foods that are 95% organic can be labeled "organic" if the other 5% of ingredients not found in an organic form.

Third Foods that 70% organic, the words "organic" products are the organic ingredients are described.

Fourth Foods with less than 70% organic ingredients, the word "organic" only in their lists of ingredients.

Consumers buy organic products make a practice of reading food labels are grown with pesticides to eliminate or contain synthetic colors, flavors or preservatives. In the wake of recent health risks tainted pet food and toothpaste and spinach, women seeking cosmetic plastic-free, believing that the products were made without industrial ingredients like petrochemicals are healthier for you to bring a boom in products Organic personal care.

However, note that there is no conclusive proof that organic food is more nutritious than conventionally grown foods. Neither has the USDA, although organic food argue that organic food is safer or more nutritious certificates

0 komentar:

Posting Komentar